21 September 2010

Tuesday's True Confession: I can't sleep if....

Getting ready for bed is almost more of an ordeal for me than its worth some days. I am not one of those people that can shuck my clothes off and collapse into bed and be sawing logs in a minute flat.
I prep to end my day just as much as I prep to start my day. My husband rolls his eyes at some of the things I do, but he also knows that if I skip one of the vitally important things, I will actually wake up in the middle of the night, and have to do it before I go back to sleep. You may be shocked at how silly some of these things seem...but to me the are what helps me sleep...here goes:

I must always put lotion on my feet before I go to sleep. If I don't, I will, without fail, wake up because my feet feel tight and itchy. In addition to the lotion I HAVE to sleep with socks on. I can manage to go barefoot all day long, but if I even catch a chance for a quick nap, I must have socks on.

I wish I could say that I must always remove my makeup before going to sleep, alas, thats not true and more often than not I wake up with the heroin look...I know you remember that fashion trend...

I have to read in order to fall asleep otherwise my mind runs through all sorts of frantic senarios and they keep building and escalating until I work myself up to a panic attack...don't ask me why, this is just how it is.

When I finish reading I almost always spend about 10 minutes doing a meditation of my own design to help me hold on to that drowsy feeling and run with it. Mostly this consists of me focusing on being relaxed and staying relaxed, and keeping my mind from jumping to stray thoughts. If that happens, well....I won't be getting any sleep thats for sure.

I have the craziest dreams, I talk in my sleep, I dream in color (which I hear isn't all that common), I can actually smell things and here music in my dreams, and remember them upon waking.

Perhaps I am just not built to sleep!
Confession complete!

No comments:

Post a Comment