30 June 2011

A road somewhat familiar

I found out a few days ago that a cousin of mine was sent to a type of life skills living. Basically, she is living with a couple about 4 hrs from her home, she will have limited contact with her own family, she will receive counseling and be required to take her meds. Its like foster care, but her parents still retain ALL parental rights. My first thought was a huge flashback to my time at Cross Creek Manor. The good, the bad, and the UGLY....me and my attitude being the ugly lol. There is a big age difference between my cousin and I...she is roughly half my age. I called her mom to see how they were doing, because, honestly now that I'm 'done with my time' and I'm a parent now myself. I can see how sending me to treatment was so much harder on my parents than it was on me. I did ask if I was allowed to have her address and if I could write her. I basically wrote her a fluff letter. All full of I love you's and other fluff support statements. I don't even know if she'll read my letter. I do know that she is either a) beyond caring about anything at this point or b)in the honeymoon phase...trying to pretend that everything is fine. She is alot different from me, in that I chose to medicate my own problems with drugs and alcohol. She has a true chemical imbalance and is def. on the behavior problem end of the spectrum...if such a spectrum exists someplace other than my own head.
I've said it so many times, but I'm going to say it again. I didn't like being in treatment. For the first year I was there, I made it well known that I didn't want anything to do with their 'program'. A point came where realization hit, and I finally saw the truth of my life as I had been living it. It was never easy. I'm so glad that I have parents who were willing to sacrifce so much for me, to love and cherish me enough that they did so much for me, to get me to a place that I would be safe from myself and the world, a place that would get through to me and teach me the skills and give me the tools to live my life without drugs, alcohol and other destructive behaviors. I'm hopeful that my cousin will at least read my letter, and write me back. I don't even dare hope that we can develop a deeper relationship. Goodness knows that I don't hold the answers for her, she has to find these on her own, and I have a good amount of faith that she will. I love her, and will continue to support her in becoming the best her that she can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment