27 June 2011

Some summer favorites

Its been awhile :D I'm busy living my summer to the fullest...and being slothful all at the same time! Don't worry, its not going to last much longer, I got an email from my nursing instructor that detailed all the things that I need to be learning on my own right now in order to be ready to jump in head first once the real semester starts. I'm already overwhelmed every time I think of it...so for now I'm just NOT thinking of it...too much anyways.
I just wanted to pop in and share a few of our favorite summer recipes with you. I hope you enjoy them just as much as we do!

Best Homemade Lemonade
1 3/4 cup sugar
8 cups water
1 1/2 cups fresh squeezed lemon juice

In a small suacepan combine sugar and 1 cup of the water-stir to dissolve. bring to a full rolling boil. remove from heat and let cool to room temp, then finish cooling in the fridge. I usually pour my syrup into a glass mason jar to put in the fridge.

Stir together lemon juice and syrup, add remaining 7 cups of water, using ice cubes if desired.

Quick Pickles

6 cups sliced cucumbers
1 cup sliced onion(red onions are the BEST for this IMHO!!)
2 cups vinegar(white or cider)
1 cup water
2 cups sugar
2 tsp. pickling salt(NON iodized salt)
2 tsp celery seed
1 tsp mustard seed 2 cloves garlic

put the cloves in the bottom of a large glass jar or two quart size jars. fill with cucs and onions. combine the rest of the ingredients in a saucepot and bring to a boil. Pour into bottle(s)and keep in fridge with lids on overnight.

I'm hoping to find time between playing in the water, reading, fishing and being slothful to have some more fun summer recipes to share soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment