30 January 2010

sPEEdy world

Have you ever really stopped to notice just how fast paced our lives are today? I know that I am always on the go, racing from one thing to the next, trying to beat the clock and get as much done as possible.

Never once have i stopped to consider the effects that this has on our children collectively throughout the community and even perhaps the world, but Thursday night, the truth rushed into my face....

We attended the Family Math Carnival at Natalys school. Many families were there, not just the kids who attend that school and a parents but whole families, which was pleasing to me. Of course I had my whole entourage with me(i.e. Cory and the kids). We went from classroom to classroom playing math/number based games and winning little prizes for the kids, a bag of freshly popped corn as well.

In the midst of this fast paced evening activity, I witnessed three...yes, count them...THREE kids wet their pants. I felt sad and ashamed....mostly because this happened to my daughter less than a week ago...there was so much going on that although she asked to go to the bathroom, the teacher told her to wait and by the time she "got the chance" she fell short of the pot.
How often do we do this ourselves as adults? I find myself quite often having to "hold" it, or I tell myself that i can wait until I accomplish just a little more.
To do this leads to extremely poor bladder health and for women poor bladder support. For any and all who have trouble jumping on a trampoline you know just what I am talking about.
So, perhaps we can all slow down just a bit, stop...and sit on the pot, bring a magazine and enjoy the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment