24 January 2010

Generation gap

Tonight I was working on compiling a new playlist for myself. Emily was watching over my shoulder and commenting on each song I chose to download. Apparently I am a "cool" mom b/c she knew most of the songs I was picking...but it wasn't until Rylee, my three year old, came up and started singing "paparazzi" by Lady Gaga that I figured one of two things...they are growing up really fast or I am hanging on to my youth with the music that I listen to.
In all honesty, I know they are growing up fast, I see and hear new things from them all everyday. I still remember the moment I found out I was expecting each of them, and the moment that they were born...seems like yesterday.
However, I have always been one who listens to a VERY wide variety of music, and yes, I know that some of it is just down right weird, but I am okay with that. Music is everything for me. More often than not, I think in terms of songs...such as..."you know that song____well, thats just how I feel at this moment"
I am sure some of you have seen the group on FB that you can become a fan of, something about wishing the epic moments in our lives were set to a soundtrack, well THATS ME! There is always some form of music going on in my head, even if its not playing outloud for the world to hear...its there for me to enjoy.
I hear comments all the time about how well my children know the songs we are singing/learning at church. My reply is always the same...its because we sing and listen to music constantly at my house...no seriously, we do. Cleaning is almost impossible to do at my house without an energy pumping playlist blasting from the speakers. And many times, I play guessing games at the piano with the kids, in relation to the songs they know from church...well the ones I can actually play since I am a really amatuer when it comes to my piano!
Back on track here...Emily progressed from making comments about my playlist to making suggestions for the playlist...and now she wants me to download it to her mp3 player...sigh, do you have any idea at all how old I feel to be sharing a playlist with my daughter?!?! yikes, whats next...she will want to borrow my lip gloss or some clothes...oiy.

No comments:

Post a Comment